Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Carl Bloch Exhibit at BYU Museum of Art

We have been meaning to go to the Carl Bloch Exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art for quite a while and just seemed to keep putting it off.  Well, we finally made it there today.  I was in awe.  I have always loved Carl Bloch's work, but it was amazing to see them in person and almost feel what he was trying to portray in each original painting.  It was even more amazing to feel the spirit with my little ones as I explained what was happening in these amazing paintings of the Savior.  I was grateful that I did not miss this FREE opportunity to have a small teaching moment with my children.  Now, I can echo what others have told me, "You have to see it!"  Hurry!  It is only available until May 7th!

Have you been here before? Share your thoughts in the "reviews" (comments) and let us know what you think.

WHAT THEY OFFER:  Self guided tour of five large Carl Bloch altar paintings and much of his others works.  (ipad rental available for media self guided tour.)  See Website to get tickets and more information.

COST:  FREE!  (Although tickets required.)

AGES:  All ages

TIPS:  Get Tickets Now!  There are only a couple of weeks left and tickets are going fast!  Standby tickets are available, but best to get them in the mornings.

WEBSITE:  http://carlbloch.byu.edu/exhibition.php

4 comments:

Suz said...

I went to this last night with our young women from church and I thought it was amazing!! If you go, definitely try and do the iPad tour it is SO well done! (Makes me want an iPad now though!) :)
Also most people aren't aware but this is not a traveling exhibit- it was made especially for BYU and these pieces will go back to all the different churches afterwards. You'll never have another opportunity to see them all together in one place again. (Well I guess I shouldn't say never- but probably not.)

mom said...

I tried to go online to get tickets and it says they are all sold out (even though free) so it says standby only for May 1-May 7, 2011...anyone know anything different?

Suz said...

I am not surprised to see that they are sold out- I think a lot of people have waited until the last week to go. I would maybe suggest trying to go either wed or tues night when maybe a lot of youth groups have gotten tickets- because I know with our ward we had a lot more tickets than we ended up using (since not all the youth could go) so they would have been turned over to standby. Just a thought. :)

Laura said...

I am also not surprised that it is all sold out. I would also suggest trying to go first thing in the morning, at 10am when it opens. I am sure they will try to let everyone in to see it who wants to, might just be a long wait. But it is worth it. Good Luck!